Artist: Emmy Rossum
Release Date: January 29, 2013
I received a promotional copy of Emmy Rossum's new album Sentimental Journey, a collection of classic American covers that comes out next Tuesday, Jan. 29th. This album is one-part fun, one-part romantic. The romantic songs are reminiscent of Linda Rondstandt's What's New album from the '80s.
The fun songs include I'm Looking Over a Four Leaf Clover, Many Tears Ago and Bobby Darin's Things. With her deep, clear voice, Emmy is a master of the fun songs and the music just bounces along perfectly. Each song represents a month of the year, creating a 12-song emotional musical journey, what Emmy calls her 'passion project.'
"Each song needed to either lyrically or emotionally reflect the corresponding month," Emmy explains in her press release. "Some songs were obvious fits, like Summer Wind for June, and Pretty Paper for December. Others songs were less literal fits. I chose Nobody Knows You (When You're Down and Out) for September because, to me, the plaintive melody and lyric emotionally reflect the cold weather creeping in and the sense of melancholy we can get in the fall months."My favorite song is track 8 All I Do is Dream of You. This is one of the romantic songs and Emmy's voice is dreamy......
Emmy also includes These Foolish Things, a '30s standard that has been recorded by everyone from Nat King Cole and Bing Crosby to Rod Stewart and Michael Buble, and Summer Wind, which was popularized by Frank Sinatra in 1966.
When you pop the CD in, start with track #2. Unfortunately, the title track is my least favorite song on the album, don't listen to it first.
- Emmy will performing a track from Sentimental Journey on Access Hollywood Live on January 25th.
- Emmy will also be appearing as a guest on Conan on January 28th, Chelsea Lately on January 29th, and The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson on February 6th.
These Foolish Things on Youtube
Click the Amazon image to purchase.
- “Sentimental Journey” (Les Brown, Ben Homer, Arthur Green)
- “The Object Of My Affection” (Pinky Tomlin)
- “I’m Looking Over A Four Leaf Clover “(Mort Dixon, Harry M. Woods)
- “These Foolish Things (Remind Me Of You)” (Eric Maschwitz, Jack Strachey)
- “(I’ll Be With You) In Apple Blossom Time” (Albert Von Tilzer, Neville Fleeson)
- “Summer Wind” (Heinz Meier, Johnny Mercer)
- “Many Tears Ago” (Winfield Scott)
- “All I Do Is Dream Of You” (Nacio Herb Brown, Arthur Freed)
- “Nobody Knows You When You’re Down And Out” (Jimmy Cox)
- “Autumn Leaves” (Joseph Kosma, Jacques Prévert)
- “Things” (Bobby Darin)
- “Pretty Paper” (Willie Nelson)